Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Factory Farms Want to Make Helping Animals Illegal

I have started this post out with about 5 different sentences and deleted them all. Why? Because I'm so frustrated with the topic I want to introduce and am trying to frame this situation so that everyone will see how utterly ridiculous it is.

What is getting me so worked up?

That Iowa wants to pass a law which states that "undercover investigators who take agricultural jobs to gain access to animals and record their mistreatment, will face penalties, up to a $7500 fine, and five years in prison."

This is in the wake of animal-rights activists gaining employment at a factory farm, and filming horrific abuses, such as:
  • Cows on their knees being shocked and beaten 
  • Pigs hit and dragged across the floor
  • Chicks ground up alive or left to suffocate in a disposal bin.

Via Farm Sactuary

Basically, the agricultural industry, in plain language, is saying "if you try to protect the animals we are abusing and exploiting, we will put you in jail".

Ok, since when did "recording mistreatment" for those who don't have a voice become illegal? Would these same lawmakers have a problem if I were to record and publicize the mistreatment of child slaves in Bangladesh? Probably not. Actually, I would probably receive a pat on the back if I fought for those who couldn't fight for themselves.

So what makes this any different?

Maybe the fact that the agricultural industry is responsible for $24.7 billion in sales. Yet again, money trumps morals, but is that really the kind of society we want to live in?

You decide.

We may not all be high powered lawyers, but we can still contribute positively to this issue.
I offer the same advice I did for stopping dead zones: (weird how everything is connected, isn't it!)

Buy local and organic, and eat less meat.

{Update: The bill was passed Thursday morning. } 

4 comments:

Blair Trotman said...

That is horrendous!!!! Is that law just applicable to Canada or across North America?

Unknown said...

This was just passed in Iowa. Florida is working on a similar law in which says you need written consent from the farmer if you are to take a picture of a farm in the state. Kind of ridiculous? Yes.

Blair Trotman said...

yeah kind super super ridiculous!!!! Very Backwards.....!

Unknown said...

It's sick. I wrote to some senator in Iowa, who replied saying he is against the bill. Matt McCoy is his name. I dunno how it gets passed, I thought we had a Constitution with a First Amendment or something...

Anyway, good that you wrote about it. I did too - my post is here, with a video I made:

http://noshmeat.com/blog/2011/3/27/the-dark-side-of-egg-production/

check it out, you might like it. (I use the word 'like' loosely, of course).

Mu

Post a Comment

More

Followers